Gamja Jorim (Soy Braised Potatoes)
- 2 big potatoes
- 1 sp olive oil/canola oil
- ½ sp salt
- 1 sp sesame oil
- Braising Liquid
- 3sp soy sauce
- 1 sp Korean rice syrup+
- 1 sp brown sugar (2sp of brown sugar)
- pepper and cinnamon powder (optional)
- Chop the potatoes into 1/2” squares
- Put ½ spoon of salt in 2 cups of water and soak the potatoes for 30min-1hr. (This
step enriches the flavor and prevents the crumbling of potatoes. The texture will be
chewier the longer they are soaked.)
- Preheat a large and shallow braising pot over medium-high heat(7). Add 1 sp of oil
and pan-fry the potatoes for ~25 mins or until 2/3 of the potatoes turn semi-opaque.
Keep the lid on and occasionally turn the potatoes around to avoid burning.
- Reduce the heat to medium(4) and add the sauce. Stir and close the lid to let the
potatoes simmer until most of the sauce is boiled away (about 5 mins), leaving about
5-6sp worth of sauce in the pot. Keep turning the potatoes to avoid getting the sauce
- Remove the pot from the heat and add 1sp of sesame oil. You can also include some
pepper and cinnamon powder for adults.
- Add 2sp of water to step 3 or 4 if the contents are about to burn.
- You can also replace the soy sauce with red pepper paste/powder. Mix the paste with
the rest of the sauce before you add it to the pot.