Myeolchi Bokkeum (Soy Maple Glazed Anchovies)
- 1 cup small dried anchovies
- 1 sp vegetable oil
- 1 piece ginger slice (1/4” thick)
- 2 green chili peppers (optional)
- 1 sp soy sauce
- 1 sp sugar
- 1 sp sake/rice wine
- 1 sp water
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- some sesame seeds
- Glaze: add all the ingredients for glaze in a bowl and set aside. Cut shishito
peppers into bite-size pieces.
- On medium-high heat brown ginger in oil (2 min or so) until brown. The essence of
ginger will get infused into the oil which will take away any fishy smell from the
- Add dried anchovies and sliced peppers to the hot ginger oil and saute for 3-4
minutes until they are slightly browned. This step is very important. Make sure you
sauté enough until the anchovies are well browned before going to the next step.
- Lower heat and add soy sauce glaze to the pan. Stir for about 2 min. until anchovies
are evenly glazed with the sauce. Drizzle maple syrup and stir for another 1 - 2 min
until anchovies are well coated and have a sheen to them. Turn off heat. Finish by
drizzling some sesame oil.