Osam Bulgogi (Spicy Squid & Pork)
- 10 oz thinly sliced pork belly
- 1 medium-sized squid (~8oz/250g)
- ½ carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 scallion
- ½ sp sesame oil
- sprinkle of sesame seed
- 1 sp Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 ½ sp Korean chili flakes
- 1 sp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 sp soy sauce
- 1 sp plum extract/honey
- add all the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and mix. If you have time, let the
sauce ingredients sit together in the fridge for at least ½ hr.
- Thinly slice the onions and carrots. Chop the scallion and set them aside. Cut the 1.
squid and pork into bite-size pieces(~1/2” width).
- Prepare two bowls:
- Bowl 1: pork+half of the vegetables + 2/3 of sauce
- Bowl 2: squid+half of the vegetables + 1/3 of sauce
- If there is time, marinate for ~30 min.
- Leave the pan on medium-low heat and once heated, add bowl 1. Stir fry until the meat
is about 80% cooked through. Then move the pork to the outer sides of the frypan to
give space for Bowl 2 in the middle. Increase the heat to high to prevent squid from
turning too tough and chewy. Add in Bowl 2 into the middle and stir fry. Keep the
mixtures separated until the squid is thoroughly cooked(~2 min).
- Mix everything in the pan. Toss in scallions, add in the sesame oil, and stir-fry(~3
min), as all the flavors come together and blend well. In the beginning, the
ingredients will not seem to mesh well together but after mixing and stir-frying
together, the dish will come together. Finish with a sprinkle of roasted sesame